Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Healthy Recipe: Tex-Mex Chili Pasta

I was so excited about trying this recipe out recently because you use the leftovers to make a different recipe.  I'll share the second recipe tomorrow (Spicy Taco Soup).  This came out of the WW cookbook called Now & Later.  My family loved this recipe!  My son even had 3 helpings!!



Tex-Mex Chili Pasta

3/4 pound whole-wheat fusilli
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef (5% fat or less)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups low-sodium tomato-vegetable juice
1/2 cup shredded low-fat Mexican cheese blend

1.  Cook the fusilli according to the package directions, omitting salt if desired.

2.  Meanwhile spray a 12-in. deep nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat.  Add the onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes.  Increase the heat to med-high; add the beef and brown, breaking apart with a wooden spoon.  Add chili powder, cumin, and salt; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 minute.  Stir in the tomatoes, beans, and vegetable juice; bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, 5 minutes.

3.  Stir in the fusilli.  Transfer 4 cups of the pasta mixture to a container and let cool.  Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days for later use in Spicy Taco Soup.  Serve the remaining 8 cups of pasta mixture sprinkled with the cheese.

1 1/3 cups mixture w/ 4 teaspoons cheese = 1 serving, makes 6 servings plus extra 4 cups

Per serving: 317 cal, 5 g fat, 8 g fiber, 6 WW pts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So yummy - I think your family will enjoy it!  And you use the extra to make 4 servings of Spicy Taco Soup.  I'll give you that recipe tomorrow - it's good too!  Let me know if you try this one!

I'm linking this up to Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam!

Have a healthy day!

Lisa  :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa ~ I think this recipe would be a great idea for our Sunday potluck meal. I always need to come up with something different. I think I'm making this on the weekend! Thank you so much! And the taco soup sounds yummy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Lisa...I wanted to stop back by and leave a comment after my daughter prepared your Tex-Mex recipe yesterday for our Sunday potluck. It was VERY good, and we would definitely have it again! Since we like spicy foods, I would probably increase either the chili powder, cumin, or both...and maybe add a dash of red pepper or red pepper flakes. I liked the fact that you can eat it on your plate rather than needing a bowl. Just wanted to follow up and thank you again for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hello! I'd love to hear from you!