Friday, March 12, 2010

Healthy Recipe: Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

I'm still loving my newer WW cookbooks!  I like that the recipes work for you even if you're not a WW person - my family loves these recipes and you can even make them work for a more "Real Food" approach.

This recipe (from the WW Comfort Classics cookbook) was SO yummy - I've got to make it again this week!  I served it with Crispy Sweet Onion Rings on the side.


Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon apple-cider vinegar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
4 (1/4-lb) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
8 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted

1.  Stir the ketchup, sugar, mustard, vinegar, chili powder, cumin, allspice, and ginger together in a medium skillet; add the chicken and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender, 20-25 minutes.

2.  Remove from the heat and shred the chicken with 2 forks.  Serve the chicken mixture between the bread slices.

~ The cookbook suggests topping the sandwiches with thinly sliced cabbage tossed with a little fat-free Ranch dressing.  I did this though I used light Ranch and thought it was a great topping and makes it a little more filling.

Per sandwich: 352 cal., 11 g fat, 3 g fiber, 7 WW points
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope you try this one!  I say double or triple the recipe so there are leftovers!  And now I'm wondering if it would freeze well - then you could even freeze individual portions to pull out later, heat in the microwave, and make your sandwich.

I'm linking this up to Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam - go check out all the yummy recipes!

Have a healthy day!
Lisa  :)

6 comments:

  1. Yum! These look really good! I love the idea of cabbage and dressing on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would've guessed WW food would sound as good as that! Looks like I've got a new recipe to try. (And a new cookbook or two to find!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those sound great, and I could modify it to fit with my diet. I will try it and let you know.
    On a side note: I probably wouldn't have left overs even if I doubled it... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Healthy meal that doesn't seem like it! Thanks for sharing.
    DomesticProductions15.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came over from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. That toasted bread looks soo yummy right now! Thanks for sharing this recipe. Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hello! I'd love to hear from you!