Friday, June 20, 2008

Healthy Recipe: Oven French Toast

This recipe was from a Weight Watchers magazine. It's nice if you're trying to do a lighter version of baked french toast for breakfast.

Oven French Toast

1 (1 lb.) loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch slices
1 pint fat-free half-and-half
2 cups fat-free milk
1 (16 oz.) container fat-free egg substitute
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 large apples, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup light stick butter, melted

1. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place 3 rows of the bread in the baking dish lengthwise, overlapping the slices slightly to fit.
2. In a bowl, combine the half-and-half, milk, egg substitute, vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon, and the nutmeg, beating with a whisk until blended. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degress F. Uncover the baking dish. With the back of a spoon, lightly press the bread into the egg mixture.
4. Combine the apples, brown sugar, melted butter, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon in a medium bowl. Top the bread mixture evenly with the apple mixture. Bake until puffed and golden and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 12 servings, 246 cal., 4 g fat, 2 g fiber (5 pts)



Hope you get to try it and that you enjoy it!

Lisa :)

1 comment:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading this page! Have copied a few recipes! Like you battling weight loss always!(With Meno. it's a challenge)
    Lost 35 lb.s and went away for winter and now I have gained 10 back and perhaps by stopping by will get motivated again! I suppose I should STOP eating chocolate!

    Water: Make yourself a tray of water.
    Place a tray somewhere in your kitchen with a carafe of pure water a
    lemon a pretty cup or favorite glass or water bottle and a pretty flower. Each time you go to kitchen stop by and take a sip or two..and keep filling up and before you know it you have drank your 6-8 glasses of room temperature purified water.
    (I keep a Brita container full of water there)
    Having this pretty water station invites me to drink my water as I go about my day..if I run out for something I just take a filled water bottle with me but when I return put it back on my tray!
    The lemon is to slice and place in my water..good for detoxing.
    Try it! :) NG

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hello! I'd love to hear from you!